Energizer is one of the leading producers of lithium batteries used in electric cars, and has…

Energizer is one of the leading producers of lithium batteries used in electric cars, and has been supplying batteries to Tesla vehicles for about a decade.

Currently Energizer is receiving a steady stream of profits from the battery business amounting to $10 million a year and expects to continue receiving it indefinitely.

The research department at Energizer has recently had a breakthrough in their exploration of batteries based on a modified chemical compound named LFP, or lithium-ferrum-phosphate, which may allow them to develop and build a superior battery. Energizer is now debating whether to commercialize the new technology.

Development would entail a one-time fixed cost but would at the same time alter its future profit stream. More specifically, if Energizer develops and markets the new batteries, and remains the sole owner of the new technology, then its annual profit is expected to increase to $20 million in perpetuity.

The problem lies in the fact that, once the information about the promise offered by LFP becomes publicly known, it is reasonable to expect that Energizer’s competitors will attempt to enter the market with their own version of the same battery. In that case, Energizer’s stream of future earnings will be reduced to $12 million per annum.

For tractability, let’s discuss a situation where Energizer has only one serious competitor, BYD. Both companies can be assumed to be risk-neutral.

Because in this fast-changing industry companies are constantly starved for cash needed for various development projects, both companies discount future profits at the fairly high rate of 20% per year.

Energizer can implement the new technology in two distinctly different ways.

Option 1. Energizer can produce a ‘plain’ battery that is estimated to cost them $30 million in one-time fixed development expenses. BYD can copy the idea and spend $10 million on developing their own analog, after which there is a 60% chance that BYD’s effort is successful, allowing them to earn a stream of $4 million per year in addition to their existing profit, and a 40% chance that their project fails and is scrapped.

1) If Energizer develops and markets the ‘plain’ version of the battery, do you expect BYD to attempt copying it? Explain the reason for your prediction.

2) Taking into account your answer to part a, what is Energizer’s expected payoff from developing and marketing the ‘plain’ version of the new battery? Show and explain your work.

Option 2. Alternatively, Energizer can market a ‘sophisticated’ version of the battery which is estimated to cost them $45 million to develop but is expected to reduce the probability of successful copying. BYD is once again willing to spend $10 million on analog development, and earn $4 million per year in additional profits if their effort is successful, but this time their probability of success is only 25%.

3) If Energizer develops and markets the ‘sophisticated’ version of the battery, do you expect BYD to attempt copying it? Explain the reason for your prediction.

4) Taking into account your answer to part c, what is Energizer’s expected payoff from developing and marketing the ‘sophisticated’ version of the new battery? Show your work.

5) Present this ENTIRE game in the form of a tree. Make sure all the strategies available to each firm are presented, all the payoffs are listed, and all the nodes and branches are properly labeled.

6) All things considered, would you recommend Panasonic to develop the plain version of the LFP battery, the sophisticated version, or scrap the idea completely? Please reference your work above.

Calculate the price
Make an order in advance and get the best price
Pages (550 words)
$0.00
*Price with a welcome 15% discount applied.
Pro tip: If you want to save more money and pay the lowest price, you need to set a more extended deadline.
We know how difficult it is to be a student these days. That's why our prices are one of the most affordable on the market, and there are no hidden fees.

Instead, we offer bonuses, discounts, and free services to make your experience outstanding.
How it works
Receive a 100% original paper that will pass Turnitin from a top essay writing service
step 1
Upload your instructions
Fill out the order form and provide paper details. You can even attach screenshots or add additional instructions later. If something is not clear or missing, the writer will contact you for clarification.
Pro service tips
How to get the most out of your experience with MyhomeworkGeeks
One writer throughout the entire course
If you like the writer, you can hire them again. Just copy & paste their ID on the order form ("Preferred Writer's ID" field). This way, your vocabulary will be uniform, and the writer will be aware of your needs.
The same paper from different writers
You can order essay or any other work from two different writers to choose the best one or give another version to a friend. This can be done through the add-on "Same paper from another writer."
Copy of sources used by the writer
Our college essay writers work with ScienceDirect and other databases. They can send you articles or materials used in PDF or through screenshots. Just tick the "Copy of sources" field on the order form.
Testimonials
See why 20k+ students have chosen us as their sole writing assistance provider
Check out the latest reviews and opinions submitted by real customers worldwide and make an informed decision.
Social Sciences
Very fast report with excellent information on the topic. Thank you for your speedy service in such a short time.
Customer 453213, June 15th, 2022
Nursing
Paper much better compared to the one prior revision request. References need to be no more than the past 5 years.
Customer 452547, July 20th, 2021
Humanities
Thank youuuu
Customer 452729, May 30th, 2021
English 101
thank you for the excellent work
Customer 452883, October 29th, 2021
Business Studies
First of all, the writer made sure that he completely understood my assignment and all the guidelines before he began writing. My paper was finished very fast and well before the specified deadline. I thought it was written excellently. He definitely completely grasped the topic. Overall, he is a great writer and I couldn't have asked for better.
Customer 452441, November 29th, 2021
Psychology
Thank you!
Customer 452545, February 6th, 2021
Business Studies
Thank you very much for a good job done and a quick turn around time.
Customer 452615, March 31st, 2021
Management
Love this writer!!! Great work
Customer 452597, April 5th, 2021
History
Don't really see any of sources I provided, but elsewise its great, thank you!
Customer 452697, May 8th, 2021
Social Work and Human Services
Although it took 2 revisions I am satisfied but I did receive it late because of that.
Customer 452603, March 25th, 2021
Human Resources Management (HRM)
My son and I have been sick for two weeks, of course at the end of my semester. I am so grateful that myhomeworkgeeks were able to help! Both papers got A's and I couldn't be more thrilled! Thank you so much and don't forget to tip your writer!
Customer 453077, February 22nd, 2022
Literature
Thank you!
Customer 453145, April 19th, 2022
11,595
Customer reviews in total
96%
Current satisfaction rate
3 pages
Average paper length
37%
Customers referred by a friend
OUR GIFT TO YOU
15% OFF your first order
Use a coupon FIRST15 and enjoy expert help with any task at the most affordable price.
Claim my 15% OFF Order in Chat
Live ChatWhatsApp

Are You Looking For Assignment Help? We Can Certainly Assist You